Closings: Schools, churches, day-cares and businesses

Surprising grilling mistakes that could make you sick

ST. LOUIS – Barbecues are a fun part of summer, but not if the burgers and brats make everyone sick.

Avoiding some common grilling mistakes is a way to prevent foodborne illness.

De-frosting frozen patties by the grill or the slow, room-temperature is a sure-fire way for bacteria to grow, according to the USDA.

You should always thaw out the meat in a refrigerator instead.

Avoid cleaning the grill with a wire brush, experts say the metal bristles can easily fall off and get into your meat.

Lastly, marinating your meats helps prevent flames from causing potentially cancer-causing carcinogens.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.