A levee break on Chouteau Island has Illinois American Water calling for mandatory water conservations for Metro East customers. The facility in question on Chouteau Island was a water intake for Illinois American Water.
Due to the facility being out of service Illinois American Water is calling Metro East resident to restrict all non-essential water usage such as running sprinklers, dishwashers and washing machines. Customers should also avoid filling bathtubs and take showers.
The concern is that the water company needs to conserve water for sanitation, fire service and water service in general.
Customers will be notified of additional action if needed, as well as when the conservation measure is lifted.
For more information, you can go to the Illinois American Water website.
Communities impacted include those served directly by Illinois American Water:
- East St. Louis
- Granite City
- Fairmont City
- Washington Park
- Cahokia (from Commonfields of Cahokia PWD)
- Canteen Township
- St. Clair Township
- Stookey Township
- Smithton Township
- Nameoki Township
Illinois American Water Issues Mandatory Conservation Measures for Metro East Illinois American Water sale-for-resale (wholesale) communities are also affected. These customers will notify their customers-residents regarding the conservation requirement:
- Scott Air Force Base
- O’Fallon (O’Fallon provides water to Fairview Heights)
- Metro-East Municipal Joint Action Water Agency (Commonfields of Cahokia Public Water District & City of Columbia)
- Mitchell Water District
- Pontoon Beach Water District
- Bond Madison Water Company which serves: Livingston Hamel Worden Williamson Pierron Pocahontas St. Jacob Grantfork Marine Three County Water District Alhambra
The Alton service area is NOT affected. Customers will be notified if additional action is needed as well as when the conservation measure is no longer required.