Contractor seriously injured in electrical arcing accident

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS - An Ameren subcontractor was taken to the hospital following an electrical arcing in south St. Louis Wednesday morning.

“The lights in the building started flickering on and off about four times and alerted me to go outside the building and see what was going on,” said Lorenzo Jackson.

Nearly two blocks away, Jackson captured video of the scene at the corner of Osage and South Broadway just before 10 a.m.

“I saw these two workers and one of them was wrapping the other one up in bandages and all of his front area was all burnt,” he said.

A spokesperson for the St. Louis Fire Department said there was an electrical arcing and one patient was transported to a hospital with electrical shock.

Ameren said one of its subcontractors was inside the manhole when a cable malfunctioned.

“It was nothing like I have ever seen before. The manhole on the ground in the street where they were working was smoking as well,” Jackson said.

Ameren said its main concern now is the well-being of the individual that was injured and said it’s investigating the incident.

“I hope he’s okay cause I’ve never seen anything like it,” Jackson said.

Ameren said it does not have to file a report with OSHA in this particular case but it will notify the Missouri Public Service Commission.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.