Spirit of St. Louis – Pick Your Charity, Pick Your Car
Closings: Schools, churches, day-cares and businesses
Download KPLR’s updated weather app for customized alerts and weather conditions

Father of teen involved prank that left a man seriously injured speaks out

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OAKVILLE, MO (KPLR) – The father of the teen at the center of a homecoming prank that put a neighbor in intensive care is sharing their side.

This all started at part of the tradition where the juniors at Oakville High School tepee the seniors' homes the night before homecoming week.

Teepeeing has evolved more into vandalism, and now two families in the district are still trying to recover from what happened Sunday night.

Jeff Weber's son is junior at Oakville High School.

On Sunday his son and a few friends went to participate in the teepeeing tradition.

They were the last ones to arrive at the home and once they did Weber said they heard someone yell, the homeowners are coming, run.

Weber said his son was hit with something in the back and then he and three friends hopped in the car.

Once they made it back to the vehicle, Weber said the homeowner started confronting the car.

"The gentleman was in front of the vehicle climbing up on the vehicle with something in his hand," said Weber.

He said the homeowner swung an object at the vehicle shattering the windshield.

"At that point the boys thought he was coming in so you can only imagine what was going through their minds," said Weber.

Weber said in that moment his son released the brake, and it wasn`t until they were off the street they realized they had hit the homeowner.

He said the boys are severely shaken up.

"I think they are all still in shock mode, I know our son definitely is going to need some counseling over it need some help because he was driving he was the main character there and I think he is going to carry that burden for awhile," said Weber.

The homeowner is still in the hospital recovering from injuries.

St. Louis Family Courts will decide if any charges are necessary.