BELLEVILLE, IL (KPLR) – The Illinois Department of Transportation will have to shut down some construction projects starting June 30th because Illinois does not have a state budget.
In a statement an IDOT representative said they have starting informing their industry partners of the shutdown due to the majority party in the legislature’s failure to pass a balanced budget.
Belleville Mayor Mark Eckert said he got an email Tuesday informing in about the shutdowns.
He said not having a state budget is affecting local governments every day and called it frustrating and sad.
There is a stopgap budget proposed. In this budget there is funding to keep IDOT’s summer construction programs moving forward without delay, but as of right now that has not passed the General Assembly.
Here is a list of the project’s I-dot knows will be stopped on June 30th.
- New ramp off of Martin Luther King bridge to I-55 near East St. Louis
- Widening of Illinois 3 from two lanes to five lanes in Waterloo
- Bridge replacements on Illinois 15 over Illinois 13 and Illinois Central Railroad
- Illinois 157 bridge replacement (crosses St. Clair Avenue, crosses MetroLink) between Fairview Heights and East St. Louis
- Rieder Road Interchange in St. Clair County