ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- National Biscuit Day is Saturday, May 14th.
According to Church's spokesperson Perry Jones, their biscuits are just as famous as their chicken! Jones says they tweak many recipes in our international restaurants, but one thing that stays the same across the world is their honey-butter biscuits.
He joined us on FOX 2 News in the Morning to celebrate the history. He also offered tips on homemade biscuits and showed us how to dress them up deliciously!
Making the perfect biscuit:
• the best biscuits start with really simple recipes.
• how you treat the ingredients makes all the difference.
• the basic ingredients include flour, fat (butter, lard, shortening), leavening, and liquid.
• the secret is keeping the fat cold.
• you want it to melt in a controlled way in the oven, not while being mixed; that`s how you get flaky layers.
• careful not to overmix. Overmixing the ingredients will lead to tough biscuits.
• bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit until golden brown.
• top with a mixture of honey and butter as soon as they come out of the oven.
• you can have a lot of fun with your biscuits!
• at church`s we enjoy them with honey-butter and our fried chicken.
• you can always make them your own with gravy, jams, a number of different spreads and protein options.