Teen severely burned after huffing gasoline in a garage

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FRANKLIN COUNTY, MO (KPLR) - On Wednesday afternoon Franklin County sheriffs deputies and St. Clair Fire and EMS were called to a home on a private road at the 500 block of River Bend Park Lane just east of St. Clair for a fire and explosion.

That’s where they found an 18-year-old male with severe burns to over 90 percent of his body. Investigators say he was huffing gasoline fumes from a can inside of a garage, lit a cigarette nearby and caused the explosion.

Franklin County Captain Charles Subke says the teens mother ran out to save her son and put out the flames while his clothes were still on fire.

“He got away from the gas can and lit a cigarette the flames flashed up and exploded and started the fire in the garage. It’s a bad situation that happened and he will have to deal with it for the rest of his life.”  Said Subke

At this point investigators are not releasing the name of the teen. He was conscious and breathing when emergency crews found him at the scene.