ST. LOUIS (KPLR) - Strong words Wednesday morning from St Louis Mayor Francis Slay in the wake of the announcement about the Rams moving to Los Angeles. In fact, Mayor Slay came out swinging at a news conference at city hall.
His main targets: the NFL and Stan Kroenke.
Slay said the league misled St. Louis and was not honest with the city when it came to the stadium issue. The mayor accused the NFL and Kroenke of never having any intention of staying in St. Louis and building a new stadium here.
Slay said it is clear that the plan all along was to get the Rams back to Los Angeles.
Maggie Crane, a spokeswoman for the mayor’s office, said although Slay reached out to Kroenke, the Rams owner never got back to him. Crane said the mayor never had a direct conversation with Stan Kroenke.
Mayor Slay went so far as to call the comments by Kroenke and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell “pathetic.”
Slay said the focus now is to try and attract more events and conventions to the Edward Jones Dome especially since it will be available year round without the Rams playing there.
The city is still paying $5 million a year on the bonds for the Edward Jones Dome and those payments continue until 2021. The Rams generated about $4 million a year for those payments, so the city will try to make up that big chunk of money with additional events and conventions.
Slay said he still wants to continue with redevelopment plans for the north riverfront where the new stadium would have been built.
The mayor also told us after this experience, he has no interest in trying to get the NFL back in St. Louis for a third time.
In a blog post Wednesday afternoon, Mayor Slay decided to "do something Stan Kroenke did not" and thank the Rams fans for supporting the franchise for the last two decades.