Shooting disrupts peaceful night of protests in Ferguson

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FERGUSON, MO (KPLR)-The anniversary of the Michael Brown shooting rings in with gunfire in Ferguson.  On what had been a relatively peaceful evening of protests, a man was shot around midnight.  About the same time, someone shattered the rear window of a police vehicle.

The question police say they're trying to answer Sunday morning is if the two incidents were related to one another, and also if they were related to the protests.

Police say they received the shots fired call about Midnight.  With the heavy police presence already in the area, they were there in numbers very quickly.  The victim, a 22-year-old male told police he was standing in the parking lot of the Family Dollar on West Florissant when he was wounded.  He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be fine. A window of the Family Dollar store was also busted out.

Sunday afternoon, the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney's Office issued charges against 17-year-old Trevion Hopson of St. Louis. Mr. Hopson was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest detention/stop by fleeing in connection to the shooting.

Police say Hopson had attended a protest on West Florissant Road. During the protest he pulled a firearm from his backpack and shot at a specific target. Hopson was later seen by officers running down West Florissant firing at protesters. Later when approached by officers, Hopson dropped his backpack and ran. Officers gave chase and apprehended Hopson.  He later confessed to the shooting and the gun and backpack were recovered.

The shooting was right about the same time, near that same intersection of West Florissant and Ferguson Avenue, that an unmarked Florissant police car was hit by something.  The back window was essentially blown out, either by a bullet or some other object.  The officer driving was not injured.

Again, at this point police tell us they're not sure if the two incidents are connected, though they did happen at essentially the same time and place.

This all came on a night that community leaders got what they had hoped for.  Between two and three hundred demonstrators marched from West Florissant Avenue to the Ferguson police department, but the protest was peaceful.  Those taking to the streets seem to have honored the requests of so many in Ferguson, including Michael Brown's father, who spoke to reporters during a march honoring his son yesterday morning.

The one year anniversary of the shooting of Michael Brown by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson is Sunday.  There are a number of observances beginning with a moment of silence at the Canfield Green Apartments just before noon, the time when the shooting happened.  That will be followed by a march and a church service conducted by the Reverend Al Sharpton.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.