CASEYVILLE, IL (KPLR) – An explosion flattened a small, frame home Saturday evening in Hollywood Heights near Caseyville. The powerful blast sent debris into neighboring yards and triggered a fire but no one was injured.
Hollywood Heights Fire Chief Buddy Moore said, “ if anyone had been inside, they would not have survived.” Neighbors said one man lived there with his dogs. He had left for the day, but the animals were trapped inside.
State Park and Caseyville Fire Departments also responded. Darlene Jonas lives next door. She heard a loud boom and jumped off her couch to see what had happened. “I was shaken,” she said.
“We think it was a natural gas explosion,” said Chief Moore. Ameren crews were on the scene investigating and the State Fire Marshal will survey the damaged house on Monday.