Fire department says gas leak to blame for home explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

ST. LOUIS (KPLR) – Investigators with the St. Louis Fire Department said a natural gas leak resulted in a home explosion in a north city neighborhood late Thursday night.

Fire Captain Garon Mosby, a department spokesman, said the bomb and arson squad is still working to determine the ignition source.

The explosion occurred in the 700 block of Thrush Avenue near N. Broadway. An estimated 80 firefighters from St. Louis and surrounding departments responded to the explosion.

Two people were pulled from the rubble and taken to a hospital.

Laclede Gas Company told investigators that service was shut off at the house last month.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.