According to her mother, 21-year-old Eloise Aimee Parry had taken even more of the ‘slimming tablets’ than recommended on the pack and had no idea just how dangerous they really were.
Eloise went to the hospital the morning of April 12 and died a few hours later.
The pills, which were purchased online and not named by police, are being tested and are believed to have contained a substance called dinitrophenol or DNP- which is highly toxic.
Chief Inspector Jennifer Mattinson said, “We are undoubtedly concerned over the origin and sale of these pills and are working with partner agencies to establish where they were bought from and how they were advertised. Substances from unregistered websites could put your health at risk as they could be extremely harmful, out-of-date or fake.”
Eloise’s mother, Fiona Parry, said in a statement, “As Eloise deteriorated, the staff in A&E did all they could to stabilize her. As the drug kicked in and started to make her metabolism soar, they attempted to cool her down, but they were fighting an uphill battle. She was literally burning up from within. When she stopped breathing, they put her on a ventilator and carried on fighting to save her. When her heart stopped they couldn’t revive her. She had crashed. She had taken so much DNP that the consequences were inevitable.”
Her mother also said, “It is such a great sadness that her life ended so soon, and, in many ways, ended before it had really had a chance to begin. There were so many things that she dreamed of doing – traveling, having a career and having a family – things that she never got a chance to experience.”
Eloise’s exact cause of death will be confirmed by the coroner.
For more on Eloise’s story click here.