Police: 52-year-old Connecticut man murdered over spilled coffee

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


STAMFORD, CT (WFSB) – Stamford police have arrested two individuals charged with the murder of a 52-year-old man last week, and they said they believe it all happened over spilled coffee.

On March 11, they said they were investigating what was believed to be a random attack that started out as a robbery, however, new details emerged on Monday.

The whole incident ended with the death of Antonio Muralles.

Police said the murder was a result of a “heinous and shocking” incident that happened in front of the McDonald’s restaurant on Bedford Street around 8:15 p.m.

Police said Muralles bumped into one of the teens and spilled the coffee. It also appeared that the victim tried to back off and apologize but he was attacked and eventually stabbed.

“As he stepped out of the McDonald’s he bumped into the suspect, coffee was spilled, words were exchanged and then without warning he was viciously attacked and stabbed through the heart,” said Stamford Police Capt. Richard Conklin.

Witnesses originally said there were three to five teens that attacked Muralles, but police only focused on two suspects.

The teens fled before police arrived at the scene.

Police were able to obtain information about the suspects from surveillance video and several witnesses.

Over the weekend, police said two arrest warrants and four search warrants were applied for.

They arrested 22-year-old James McLamb, of New Haven, and charged him with first-degree murder.

Another individual, who is 15 years old, has also been charged with murder. Police are not releasing that person’s name because of his age.

Police said McLamb was in custody on March 15 on an unrelated weapons charge. He has been held on a $2 million bond.

The teen is being held at Bridgeport Juvenile Detention Center.

Stamford police said it was witnesses who really stepped up and cooperated with police to help catch the two suspects.

“We had another witness come forward, independent eyewitness who saw the murder. With her information, really blew the case wide open and we were able to identify the suspects,” said Stamford police Lt. Diedrich Hohn.

Muralles had family in Guatemala, and the country’s consulate general said the family has the support of roughly 16,000 Guatemalans who call Connecticut home.

“We have a very strong community in this town and Connecticut,” said Myriam De la Roca, Guatemala’s consulate general. “They are supporting the family because this is a very sad case.”

Police said the 15-year-old suspect is expected to eventually be charged as an adult.

“It’s a horrendous crime for anyone, more disappointed that it is a 15-year-old. But unfortunately he’s got to be responsible for his actions,” Hohn said.

Police said they also expect to make another arrest.

By Rob Polansky, WFSB

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.