The house on Delores Street is a total loss.
Camp Jackson Fire Department Chief Chris Davis says it is being investigated as suspicious. The fire started at about midnight Friday. It spread quickly, and a second alarm was sounded bringing help from, about a dozen nearby fire departments. The woman who lives there left about an hour before the fire started. No one was hurt.
Cliff Schmid, who lives just behind the house, is also the President of the Camp Jackson Fire Department board. Schmid says his son saw something suspicious just before the fire started.
"There were two kids running down Carol Street. They had a container and they threw the container in one of the neighbor`s (otherwise empty) trash cans," Schmid said.
He says a blue Chevy truck picked them up and took off. Schmid also says investigators recovered that container and it smelled of kerosene.
The State Fire Marshal`s office is not commenting on their investigation.