MARIES COUNTY, MO (KPLR) - A Maries County mother is now charged with the murder of her 16-year-old daughter, who died of a drug overdose on Christmas Eve.
Investigators say 49-year-old Starletta Blevins provided her daughter with the cocktail of prescription pills, then snorted them with her daughter.
Right after the drug use, Maries County Sheriff Chris Heitman says Blevins went to the doctor, possibly to obtain more pain pills.
While Blevins was gone, 16-year-old Kaylynn Moore overdosed.
Kaylynn's 23-year-old boyfriend was with her, and called 911, but it was too late. The high school sophomore lost her life.
When investigators arrived at the home, they discovered drug paraphernalia, animal feces, rotten food, and pornography out in the open. Kaylynn's 10-year-old sister, who was living in these deplorable conditions, is now with a relative.
What makes the situation even worse is that Kaylynn's older sister also died from a drug overdose when she was 15, in 2003. "This mother knows how dangerous drugs are, and what it can do to a family, and yet, here were are 11 years later, and we're burying her other daughter," says Heitman.
It appears Blevins was not charged in connection with that death.
When deputies went to arrest Blevins Tuesday night, they found her snorting drugs with her 26-year-old son and his girlfriend. The two of them were also arrested, and may face additional drug charges.
Blevins has 10 children in total.
In addition to 2nd degree murder, Blevins is charged with distributing a controlled substance, and two counts of child endangerment.
The sheriff wants to remind the public that if you give away or sell your prescription pills to someone and they die from it, you can be charged with their murder.