Fire forces Florissant family out of their home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FLORISSANT, MO (KPLR) - A Florissant family is struggling to get back on their feet after a kitchen fire damaged their home on Saturday afternoon.  Florissant Valley Fire Protection officials say a grease fire did enough damage to force the family out of their home in the 2500 block of St. Catherine.  As of Sunday night, stickers on the house read, "not approved for occupancy."

Irisa Gay says the fire started while her husband was caring for her mother who recently suffered a stroke.  Gay says her husband carried his mother-in-law out to safety, but says smoke from the fire ruined her furniture and Christmas presents.  Fire officials say the fire started with the grease, but quickly spread to kitchen cabinets.

"This is still a shock to me, so I don't know what to do at this point," said Gay.

She has three children ranging in age from 6 to 16.   Hey youngest daughter, Alyssa, is a cancer survivor.  Gay said an organization that supports cancer survivors recently decorated Alyssa's room.

"It was especially for my daughter because she had been through so much, you know so much chemotherapy," said Gay.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary assistance.  Gay appreciates the help but worries about her long-term living plans.  As of Sunday night, her family was spending the night in a hotel.

Follow Jeff Bernthal on Facebook and Twitter:
Jeff Bernthal on Facebook  
Jeff Bernthal on Twitter  
jeffrey.bernthal@tvstl.com