No indictment in New York case sparks renewed protest in St. Louis

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLAYTON, MO (KPLR) – A New York grand jury decision has touched off protests again in the St. Louis area. About one hundred people showed up at the Eagleton Federal courthouse shortly after the announcement in New York that a white police officer would not be indicted in the choking death of a black man.

Demonstrators blocked the exit and entrance to the underground garage forcing federal employees to wait in their cars inside until protesters could be moved outside. Police say four people were arrested.

The entire New York incident was caught on camera and that makes protestors here even more frustrated by the justice system. One woman said, "I think people hope that if something is caught on camera similar to the work you do, that if things are clear, that if the coroner says it's homicide that that's enough for people to take your seriously."

The co-chair of the Ferguson Commission Rev. Starsky Wilson was at the federal building protest. Ferguson, New York, the shooting death of an African-American boy by Cleveland police, he said, are all tied together.  Rev. Wilson said, "It makes it vividly clear there needs to be wholesale change in police and community relations including police oversight and that we need to engage in that robust discussion locally and nationally."

Wednesday night St. Louis County council members moved $3.4 million from an emergency account to pay overtime for police who have been assigned to all the protests.

Follow Roche Madden on Facebook and Twitter:
Roche Madden on Facebook
Roche Madden on Twitter

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.