Mother says energy drinks led to death of 16-year-old daughter
PEORIA, AZ (KPHO) — Lanna Hamann, 16, was vacationing in Rocky Point, Mexico, when her mother received a call she never expected: Her daughter was dead from a heart attack.
Kris Hamann said it appeared her daughter has been drinking energy drinks while on the beach. The friends with whom she was traveling told her mother that Lanna was not drinking any water.
On Saturday evening, she had complained to her friend’s father she did not feel well. That is when she went into cardiac arrest and died.
“Obviously, this is something that could have happened anywhere, whether she was in Mexico or whether she was here in Arizona playing softball,” Kris Hamann said.
“(Parents should) make sure they’re watching their kids. (Watch) what they’re drinking and (make sure) they’re drinking water instead of an energy drink,” Hamann said.
Sunday, dozens of Lanna’s friends gathered to remember the 16-year-old sophomore at Sunrise Mountain High School. Her mother plans to travel to Rocky Point on Tuesday to sign the death certificate and retrieve her daughter’s body.
Because of complications with Lanna’s birth certificate, the U.S.-based mortuary the family is using was not able to bring Lanna’s body back to the United States. Kris Hamann said the total cost so far has exceeded $13,000.
The Hamann family has set up an account with Wells Fargo banks. If you’d like to help out, simply go to any branch and tell an employee you’d like to make a donation to the Lanna Hamann Memorial Fund.