IRS Return Fraud

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(KPLR) - Michael Devine with the IRS can't talk about the inner-workings of the organization but can explain all the things you need to do when you are a victim of tax fraud.

First, IRS will give you numbers to call. You will fill out an identity theft affidavit form (14039) and get a special identity theft protection pin number to file future returns.

Next, contact one of the free credit reporting agencies like Equifax and put an alert on your file.   They will contact the other credit bureaus.

Next, report the theft to the FTC and you'll get an identity theft report.   Use that FTC report to file a police report with your local law enforcement.

Finally, notify your bank, credit card companies, utility companies and check all your financial  accounts and debit cards weekly.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.