Warming Centers for the Metro St. Louis Area
Closings: Schools, churches, day-cares and businesses

Mantecore, the white tiger that attacked during Siegfried & Roy show, dies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(CNN) — Mantecore, the white tiger whose co-starring role in Siegfried and Roy’s illusion-packed Las Vegas act was overshadowed by one visceral act of violence, has died. The big cat was 17.

Mantecore died March 19, wrote Siegfried Fischbacher on the duo’s Facebook page Tuesday

It had been living at the Siegfried & Roy Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat at the Mirage hotel.

Mantecore was a part of the long-running “Siegfried & Roy” show when it lunged at Roy Horn’s neck halfway through a sold-out performance in October 2003.

The trouble started, according to a woman watching the show, when Horn took a microphone and “starting whapping the tiger on the head.”

“He looked like a rag doll,” another audience member told CNN at the time.

Trainers quickly rushed the stage trying to subdue the tiger. It was Horn’s 59th birthday.

By the time emergency officials arrived, Horn had suffered massive blood loss and was in critical condition.

He also suffered a stroke and required two surgeries.

Four days after the attack, Fischbacher defended the tiger on CNN’s “Larry King Live.”

“Listen, I say it was an accident,” he said, adding that if Mantecore wanted to kill his partner “it would (have happened) in no time.”

Siegfried also said that Mantecore biting Horn’s neck was similar to what a mother cat does with her cubs.

Horn did survived the attack, but was left paralyzed. He never returned to the stage and makes only rare public appearances. The show too was canceled.

In his post about Mantecore, Fischbacher wrote about the closeness he felt with the tiger.

Mantecore was one of three cubs. The cub’s mother neglected it. So Fischbacher once had to go into the tiger’s den and give it mouth to mouth resuscitation.

The young cub was then cared for by Fischbacher’s mother, who bottle-fed it every three hours.

“Farewell my dear friend,” Fischbacher wrote. “Know that your image is forever burned into my heart.”

By Emma Lacey-Bordeaux and Melodi Smith, CNN

CNN’s Tina Burnside contributed to this report.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.