Living snail found inside boy’s knee wound

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


(CNN)-A California boy came home with a scary souvenir from a beach vacation. Paul Franklin, 4, fell and cut his knee on a rock.  After it became swollen, his mom took him to urgent care. 

Doctors first believed he had a staph infection, but after a course of antibiotics, the wound did not heal.  It started turning black. 

Against the doctors’ orders, Paul’s mom squeezed the wound to drain it. That’s when a living snail came out. 

Paul is keeping the snail as a pet.  He's named him Turbo. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.