Kirkwood Baseball Fields Almost Ready For Action

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KIRKWOOD, MO (KTVI)-- From flooded ball fields to summer time heat, our extreme weather took a turn and helped pull off a near-miracle; saving a summer past-time for thousands of St. Louis area kids.

The field 8 dugout at the Kirkwood Athletic Association  (KAA) fields on Marshall Road has water up to the rooftop a week ago.

Wednesday night, the you could kick up dust on the field with temperatures still above 90 degrees.

You couldn`t find a hotter, dustier job than dragging the fields.
But you couldn`t find any complaints, either.

"Not at all.  We love this," beamed KAA Director, David Ozersky.
There was still flood debris in the backstops of the 10 ball fields.

But the fields were almost completely dry; still soggy in the outfields in spots.
That seemed impossible a week ago.

"We wouldn`t be standing right here.  We`d probably be up to here in water," Ozersky said, holding his hand up to his eyes.

Wet weather`s been a plague for kids across St. Louis, who`ve grown weary of drilling indoors and calling their leagues` rainout lines with bad news seeming to always come on the other end.

"Me and my dad always call the rainout because we`re always afraid it`s going to be cancelled," said RJ Macay, a 12 year old player with the Fenton Patriots team.

"We had a bunch of rainouts.  We had 2 tournaments cancelled because of flooding," said teammate, Joey Besore.

Those rainouts came in Kirkwood.

So, the KAA staff started cleaning up, even with most of the fields still under several feet of water.

Water was higher than the microwaves inside the concession stand.  Workers had to dismantle and move the walk-in freezer.

"Take down the walk-in freezer in the concession stand; move all of the equipment out of the concession stand; move all of the equipment out of the utility shed; we have some storage trucks we use here, get all of that stuff out.  We have to drop the fences," so they won`t bend in the flood water, Ozersky said.

But it was a labor of love.

When you have kids, summer, and it`s St. Louis, there just has to be baseball.

"What`s been lost ?  Games for all the boys and girls to play, is the bigger thing ... we take it a day at a time.  It is what it is.  We make the best out of it," Ozersky said.

Workers saved every bit of equipment.  They got everything out of the concession and the utility shed in time.

Games resume Thursday night at 6.

Follow me on Twitter:  AndyBankerTV
Facebook:  Andy Banker on Fox 2