Police Standoff In Washington Park, IL. Ends Peacefully

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHINGTON PARK, IL (KPLR) – A Washington Park man is undergoing a mental evaluation after he barricaded himself inside his father’s home for about four hours Tuesday.

Police got the call from the subject’s father around 2:00 pm, saying that his son, Allen Nicholson, kicked open his back door and holed up in the basement, possibly armed.

By 6pm, police had walked Nicholson from his father’s home on the 1400 block of North 54th Street into an ambulance. Police had to forcibly remove him from the house when they discovered he had a knife and hammer, and refused to cooperate.

Police and family members say he suffers from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and gets into trouble when he doesn’t take his medication.

Washington Park Police Chief David Clark says this isn’t the first time Nicholson has gotten on the wrong side of the law.

He explains, “A couple weeks ago, we had an altercation with him where two officers from the department were hurt, trying to arrest him for basically doing the same thing.  He kicked in the front door that time.”

The chief says Nicholson has been charged with these crimes in the past, but that doesn’t seem to work: “We’ve done that numerous times, but he’s always coming back and getting more violent.  This time we’re going to seek better counseling and trying to get the state’s attorney involved and see what we can get charged.”

FOX 2 also spoke with Nicholson’s brother, Deason Nichols. He was walking to his father’s house this afternoon when he spotted a helicopter circling above. He was saddened, but not shocked, to discover the commotion centered around his brother.

Nichols says, “It’s actually kind of embarrassing, but it’s nothing new. Sorry to say that, but it’s nothing new because he’s done this before. But like I said, this is the most serious I’ve ever seen.”

No one was held hostage or injured, and charges are expected once the investigation is complete.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.