Free Carbon Monoxide Alarms From The Fire Department

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – Carbon monoxide is often called the silent killer. With the cold weather coming it’s a good time to remember the dangers of the colorless, odorless gas. But, a carbon monoxide detector can save your life.

The St. Louis city fire department received a $5,000 grant for carbon monoxide alarms. The alarms are designed to sound before an average, healthy adult would experience symptoms. At lower levels of exposure, the mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu.

The funding, provided by the grant, allows the St. Louis fire department to purchase and install carbon monoxide alarms in the homes of city residents interested in participating in the program. Call (314) 533-3406 for more information.