(KPLR) – Dan Zarlenga, with the Missouri Department Of Conservation, stopped by to discuss a great opportunity for families just starting out with outdoor adventures.
The WOW St. Louis Campout is a weekend overnight adventure where the whole family can explore fun and exciting outdoor activities, right here in the St. Louis area. It’s only $25. If that makes you say WOW, you’d be right. The event encourages families to Wake up to the Outdoor World (WOW).
What is WOW?
- Annual Outdoor Skills and Conservation School
- Overnight camping experience designed to connect people to the outdoors
- Teaches beginning and intermediate skills in outdoor recreation and safety
- Give beginners a chance to learn about camping by actually doing it
- Goal is for families to take away outdoor and camping skills they can use and expand on later
How does it work?
- Families camp out Saturday night
- Can take classes in different skills, such as rock climbing, outdoor cooking, fishing, archery, canoeing, bicycling and kayaking
- Learn the basics of 'leave no trace' camping
- Also includes evening campfire activities campfire story program, S` more making, hot dog cookout and star gazing through telescopes courtesy of the St. Louis Astronomical Society.
- Breakdown and depart Sunday
Who`s all involved in the program?
Multiple agencies including:
- Missouri State Parks
- Missouri Department of Conservation
- National Park Service
- St. Louis County Parks
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Bass Pro Shop
- And others
When and where is WOW?
- New Audubon Center at Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary in West Alton
- Campout runs from Saturday, Sept. 29 and will end by noon on Sunday, Sept. 30
- Advanced registration required
- $25 for family of 4 or $10 per individual—
- includes hotdog cookout and s` mores, and light breakfast
- tents available on request
- Participants bring all personal gear (sleeping bags, pillows, flashlights, proper clothing, etc.)
- Registration due by September 24th
- Free shuttle bus available from Forest Park to Riverlands
- Call 314-340-5794 for more information and registration packet
WOW St. Louis Campout
Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary
Register by September 24