Those on a low-carbohydrate diet burned calories equal to an hour of moderate exercise without actually engaging in physical activity
Here are some easy ways to start decreasing the carbs in your diet:
- Stop drinking sugary beverages. Most sugary drinks have very little nutritional value, and they don't do a good job of filling you up. For example, 100 calories from apple juice will leave you hungrier than if you ate 100 calories worth of an actual apple. Therefore, you may be inclined to consume more "empty calories
- Increase the amount of non-starchy vegetables you eat, including greens, avocadoes, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower - decrease your intake of corn and potatoes
- Go for quality over quantity. Did you know in Italy the typical portion size for pasta is about one cup? For rice or potatoes, a half a cup is a standard portion. Get out a measuring cup and become familiar with proper portion sizes.
- When choosing which vegetables and low-sugar fruits to eat, the ones with the most color are often the highest in nutrients. This is especially true with antioxidants and other phytonutrients. Eating a "rainbow of colors" can help guide you in getting a variety of these valuable substances
- Choose brown rice over white. Some people find a `no white diet` to be a simple way to cut down on carbs. ( no white flour, white rice, white bread, etc.)
- Pull a switcheroo - substitute spaghetti squash in a meal for spaghetti noodles, snack on nuts at the movies instead of popcorn