Brentwood Petsmart evacuated for vapor leak

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KPLR) - A local pet store and animal hospital were evacuated Thursday after a vapor leak.

Fire crews and the St. Louis County Haz-Mat unit were called to the Petsmart store and Banfield Veterinary Clinic in Brentwood. Fire officials said the vapor leak occurred on the clinic side of the business where seven employees complained of nausea, dizziness and a metallic taste.

Fifteen animals including dogs, cats and guinea pigs were removed and placed on an air conditioned metro bus while officials investigated.

Brentwood fire officials said they are still trying to determine the source of the vapor leak. Officials have closed the Petsmart and Banfield Animal Clinic at least until Friday.

The animals have been picked up by their owners or placed in other pet shelters. The seven employees were evaluated at a hospital and fire officials said they were fine.