ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – Cardinal Nation celebrated Thursday night with the grand opening of Ballpark Village.
For Cardinals President Bill DeWitt III, who’s been the driving force behind Ballpark Village, experiencing this moment is surreal: “To finally be here is a great sense of relief and accomplishment, and excitement for what’s to come.”
With its five performance stages, retractable roof, bars, restaurants, and rooftop deck, Ballpark Village will now be an integral part of the Cardinal fans’ experience, but plans are also in place to keep the venue active, year round.
DeWitt explains, “I don’t think people realize quite that we’ve got over 200 events planned in Ballpark Village, we’ve got a big marketing budget and a big events budget, and that’s going to bring people down here on non-game days. That’s where we’re focusing our budget.”
Missy Kelley, with Partnership for Downtown St. Louis, believes those events, and other promotions, will have a significant impact on downtown as a whole. She says, “Once people get here, that maybe weren’t otherwise inclined to come downtown, they’re going to look left, and going to look right, and they’re going to see so many other assets that we have down here, and I truly think that it’s going to add to the pie.”
As for concerns that Ballpark Village will detract from longtime game day venues?
Kelley explains, “The assets that they have here are so diverse, that I think certainly people will come here, but they’ll also go to all of their old haunts, because we’ve got so many cool places that have been here for so long, that they feel like are home to them.”
So what do baseball fans think of Busch Stadium’s new next door neighbor?
Cardinals Fan Cindy Tran says, “I would come here during the year, because with all the restaurants they have in here, I think it’s good for everybody to come here, it’s not just particularly for game days.”
Another fan, Zach Wheeler says, “This is where we’ll tell people to meet us now before Cardinals games. It used to be Paddy O’s, but now it’s going to be, meet at Ballpark Village and we’ll all go to the game after that. So it looks really good. I’m impressed.”
The approximately 120,000 square foot multi-story project is visible beyond the left center field wall, and compliments the energy and excitement of the game day experience. The first phase of Ballpark Village is anchored by Cardinals Nation, Budweiser Brew House, FOX Sports Midwest Live!, PBR St. Louis – A Cowboy Bar, Howl at the Moon, and Drunken Fish.
Learn more: STLBallParkVillage.com/
Ballpark Village Grand Opening Events Schedule:
Thursday, March 27th
- 5 PM – Opening Ceremony
- 6 PM – Private VIP Party
- 9 PM – FREE Concert by National Recording Artist Third Eye Blind on the FOX Sports Midwest Live! Stage
Friday, March 28th
- 11 AM – Open for Lunch: Cardinals Nation, FOX Sports Midwest Live!, Budweiser Brew House & Drunken Fish
- 5-7 PM – Founders VIP Event honoring the Construction Workers
Saturday, March 29th
- 6-8:30 PM – Cardinals Nation Restaurant Grand Opening Ceremony & Private Party
- 7 PM – St. Louis Blues Hockey Watch Party in FOX Sports Midwest Live!
- 8:30 – 10 PM – Budweiser Brew House Grand Opening
- 8:30 PM – Fireworks Display over Busch Stadium
Sunday, March 30th
- 11 AM-5 PM – Ballpark Village Family Fun Event
- 9PM-1AM – Red Bull Hospitality Party
Monday, March 31st
- 11 AM – FOX Sports Midwest Live! Grand Opening
- 3:10 PM – Cardinals Season Opener Watch Party at FOX Sports Midwest Live!
Thursday, April 3rd
- 6 PM – Throwback Thursday Debut at FOX Sports Midwest Live!
Friday, April 4th
- 5-7 PM – Inaugural Fridays on Clark featuring Dr. Zhivegas
- 9 PM – PBR St. Louis – A Cowboy Bar Grand Opening Party
- 9 PM – The Barn at PBR St. Louis Grand Opening Party
Monday, April 7th – Opening Day in St. Louis
- 10 AM – Cardinals Nation Museum & Hall of Fame Grand Opening
- Noon – Opening Day Rally on Busch II Infield & Ballpark Village Lot