CHESTERFIELD, MO (KPLR) – Chesterfield police say they have arrested a woman for the second time as the suspect in a fatal hit and run accident in Chesterfield in February.
This time, Yelena Pelts, 54, has also been charged with felony criminal charges for Leaving the Scene of a Motor Vehicle Accident stemming from a fatal hit and run accident on February 11, 2014.
Police arrested Pelts on February 18, but released her at the time pending further investigation and the application of warrants.
That warrant was issued Wednesday, and police took Pelts into custody. She is currently in police custody with a $10,000 bond.
According to a release from police after the first arrest, “Physical evidence at the scene and subsequent investigation led detectives to a vehicle owned by Pelts, a 2004 Pearl White Toyota Sienna Mini-Van.”
The body of Roy Joseph, 41, was found in a grassy area on the north side of Olive, near Highway 141. A recent snow had covered a sidewalk that morning. Joseph was walking home when he was struck.
Joseph was the second person in a week to be killed in a hit-and-run accident. Police believe Joe Auffenberg was killed when a minivan hit him in the 400 block of North Kirkwood Road, just south of Bodley Avenue around 11:15pm February 9.
No one has been charged or arrested in the Auffenberg case. There is a $16,000 reward in this case.
If you have any information, you’re asked to contact Crimestoppers at 866-371-TIPS (8477).
- Police to seek charges against suspect in Chesterfield Hit & Run
- Police arrest suspect in fatal Chesterfield hit-and-run
- Person of interest named in fatal Chesterfield hit-and-run accident
- Fatal hit and run takes life of Chesterfield man
- $16,000 reward offered for information in fatal hit and run case
- $10,000 reward offered for suspect in fatal Kirkwood hit-and-run
- Man struck by car in Kirkwood dies at hospital