KIRKWOOD, MO (KPLR) – The St. Louis Community College at Meramec will host a job fair on Thursday, March 6th from 9 am to 2 pm in the college gymnasium. The college is located at 1133 Big Bend Road, in Kirkwood.
Applicants are encouraged to dress for meeting job recruiters face to face, as 60 potential employers will be on hand to interview job candidates.
Here’s a list of some tips that may help applicants:
- Request a list of employers recruiting at the fair and begin researching positions they are seeking. Conducting the proper research allows participants the opportunity to tailor resumes to fit the employer’s needs. Having a list prior to attending the fair will ensure that you are able to plan which table to visit.
- Bring at least 30 copies. Some employers will not accept hard copy resumes and will direct potential employees to apply online. This is to comply with federal regulations of how employers keep data on applicants. Participants should come prepared to speak directly with employers.
- Develop a 20- to 30-second spiel about yourself.
- Dress to impress. Be confident in your appearance. Wear professional clothing such as collared shirts, a tie, slacks and jacket for men. Ladies should wear a suit, skirt, blouse or slacks.
- Respect others’ space, and maintain confident nonverbal communication. Make frequent eye contact, have a friendly demeanor and a firm handshake
- Bring a portfolio, notepad and pen.
- Prepare three to four questions to ask employers
An online application station will be available at the fair for applicants to use at the fair, and tables for job seekers to fill out applications.
For more information, contact 314-984-7611 or email CES@stlcc.edu.