Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge open to traffic
ST. LOUIS, MO (KPLR)- Drivers in St. Louis now have a new option when it comes to crossing the Mississippi River. The Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge, located just north of downtown St. Louis, opened to vehicle traffic Sunday. The first car crossed the westbound lanes of the new Interstate 70 connector between Illinois and Missouri around 10:15am. The eastbound lanes opened at Noon.
MoDOT says the $229.5 million bridge will be the third longest cable stayed bridge in the country. The main span between the two soaring towers is 1,500 feet long and is 60 feet above the Mississippi River.
- 18 puppies, 3 cats rescued by Animal Cruelty Task Force
- Video: Girl goes from baby to 14 in 4 minutes
- Kansas City residents breathe easier after highway shootings suspect nabbed
- Judge tells convicted murderer: "I hope you die in jail"
- Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates into reservoir