Gas leak forces 50 to evacuate homes and offices in Dupo, IL

DUPO, IL (KTVI) - A gas leak in the heart of the Dupo business district forced the evacuation of several businesses and some apartments in and near the 100 block of North Main. Fifty persons were told to leave the area for their own safety after the odor of gas seeped into a telemarketing firm.

Dupo firefighters blocked off the streets while gas workers from the Dupo Village began digging along a four inch main at the back of the business. Frozen ground and ice added to the difficulty of the repair job.

Workers from the telemarketing firm, a beauty salon and a tee shirt business were sent home. The First Baptist Church in Dupo opened its doors as a warming center for any residents who needed temporary shelter.

Filed in: News

Suggest a correction

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 917 other followers