Fatal heroin combination spreading northeast
ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)– Broadway theaters are paying tribute to actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Wednesday night by dimming their marquee lights.
Hoffman, star of major movies, stage, and television, was found dead in the bathroom of his New York apartment Sunday with a needle in his arm. He is believed to have overdosed on heroin mixed with fentanyl, a powerful pain reliever.
The deadly drug combination claimed several lives in the St. Louis area nearly eight years ago. Dan Duncan, Associate Executive Director of the National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Abuse says there are no signs to indicate heroin mixed with fentanyl is still being sold or used by heroin addicts in the Metro area.
The drug is spreading to the northeast and has killed some 22 people. An autopsy is being conducted on Hoffman to determine an exact cause of death. Philip Seymour Hoffman was 46-years-old.