Conservation Connection: NoMOre Trash Contest
(KPLR) – Litter is not only a threat to our environment and quality of life, but it also has a big economic impact. The Missouri Departments of Conservation and Transportation are encouraging students all over Missouri to fight litter and have fun in the process. Dan Zarlenga, from the Conservation Department, talks with John Fuller about the 2014 NoMOre Trash Can Decorating Contest.
Q. How does litter impact the state of Missouri?
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average American generates 4.3 pounds of solid waste per day
- Missouri accounts for more than 25 million pounds of garbage in one day
- The Missouri Department of Transportation spends almost $6 million every year to clean litter from Missouri highways
- Missouri Stream Teams removed 869 tons of litter from our state’s waterways in 2009
Q. Littering is actually illegal too. What are the current penalties?
- Maximum penalties are $1,000 and a year in jail
Q. Tell us about this campaign
- Cooperative effort between the Mo Depts. Of Conservation and Transportation
- Awareness campaign to discourage littering and encourage proper disposal of trash
- See the No MOre Trash signs along roadways
Q. So what’s this contest all about?
- Schools encouraged to decorate a 30-gallon or larger trash can to be located in a prominent area of the school or community
- Each design must include the No MOre Trash! logo and a litter-prevention message or slogan
- This year’s theme is “Yes You CAN Make Missouri Litter-Free”
- Artistic media choices can include, but are not limited to paint, fabric, glitter, crayon, wax, paper, photos, etc. Use of recycled materials is encouraged.
- No entry fee is required. Only entries submitted by Missouri schools, including home schools will be accepted. Schools may submit one entry in each competition category.
- Include up to 3 photos
Q. What can they win?
- $200 prize for each of 3 winning grade categories
- Overall grand prize winning school will get $600 and a trophy
- Entries will be judged based on creativity, adherence to the contest rules and effective use of theme and logo.
- Entry deadline is March 14th
Q. Where can viewers find out more?
Logos available for download there