Elderly woman found frozen in driveway
GLEN CARBON, IL (KPLR) – Police found the body of a Madison County woman in her driveway on Saturday. Mary Kampwerth, 83, was discovered fully clothed with no signs of trauma to her body. The officer who found her said she appeared to be in a, “frozen state.” Kampwerth was pronounced dead at the scene. An investigation is being conducted into this weather related death.
Police do not know how long she may have been outside. Based onevidence at the scene Kampwerth could have been in the elements since January 7th. Mail and newspapers at the home led investigators to this conclusion.
The body was found in an area that would have made it hard for neighbors and postal workers to see the body. Officers say the area would be especially difficult to see if it was partially covered with snow.
Additional laboratory and toxicology studies are being conducting after an autopsy results proved inconclusive.
Funeral arrangements are being handled by Weber & Rodney Funeral Home of Edwardsville, Illinois.
- 18 puppies, 3 cats rescued by Animal Cruelty Task Force
- Video: Girl goes from baby to 14 in 4 minutes
- Kansas City residents breathe easier after highway shootings suspect nabbed
- Judge tells convicted murderer: "I hope you die in jail"
- Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates into reservoir