Mother and boyfriend charged in toddler’s death
ST. LOUIS (KPLR) – The mother of a child who was beaten to death, and her boyfriend now face criminal charges in the case. According to the St. Louis Medical Examiner three-year old Dashon Haskin died of a lacerated liver within hours of the beating.
Saturday, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce issued counts of second degree murder, child abuse and armed criminal action against 25-year old Hershell Kirkman of the 5600 hundred block of Kingbury in the Central West End. He lived at Kingsbury Terrace, a St. Louis Housing Authority apartment building for low income and disabled residents.
Dashon Haskin`s mother, Ericka Haskin was in the apartment at the time of the attack Wednesday or Thursday, but failed to call for medical help after the child`s injuries became obvious. She was charged with child endangerment.
Court documents indicate Kirkman admitted to repeatedly striking the child with his fist. The case will be presented to a grand jury.
An uncle of the victim told FOX2 News the family is heartbroken over the child`s death. He said his sister has an infant daughter who was taken into protective custody.
Ericka Haskin is being held on $300,000 cash only bond. Kirkman`s cash only bond was set at half a million dollars.
As of Saturday night, funeral arrangements had not been completed.
- Two in custody after toddler death ruled homicide
- Criminal Complaint Against Hershell Kirkman
- Criminal Complaint Against Ericka Haskin
- 18 puppies, 3 cats rescued by Animal Cruelty Task Force
- Video: Girl goes from baby to 14 in 4 minutes
- Kansas City residents breathe easier after highway shootings suspect nabbed
- Judge tells convicted murderer: "I hope you die in jail"
- Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates into reservoir