Smoking in bed may have caused Overland apartment fire

OVERLAND, MO (KTVI) – An Overland man is in critical condition after a fire did heavy damage to his apartment.

It happened in the Woodson Park Community Apartments off Woodson Road.  Officials with the Community Fire Protection District say the victim is a man in his 50s who was found unconscious just inside the front door.

Firefighters got the call about 11:50 p.m. Sunday after someone in a nearby home noticed flames shooting from the apartment and called 911.  When crews got there, they broke down the front door and found the victim.

Authorities say he was the only resident there and that the fire was likely burning about half an hour before firefighters got the call.   Fire officials say the man suffered extensive burns to his hands, face and airways.

He also suffered substantial smoke inhalation. 

Investigators say they believe the fire started in the bedroom and that the man was likely smoking in bed.  Authorities believe he may have fallen asleep.

Officials have not released his name.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 341 other followers