Mother upset after UPS leaves Christmas present in trash can
BARNHART, MO (KTVI)– A Barnhart mother believes her daughter`s Christmas present was accidentally thrown away. Tracey Sole found a UPS notice in her mailbox indicating a package was delivered in, ‘In black trash can.’
Sole says the package was delivered on trash day. She believes it was thrown away before she got home. The package was an Android tablet.
“I was crying all night,” said Sole. “I saved for months to get that for my daughter.”
Sole contacted UPS and says the company told her to contact the company she ordered the tablet from. That company told Sole they could send her a new tablet, but there is no guarantee it will make it to Barnhart by Christmas.
A UPS spokesperson told FOX 2 an investigation is underway to determine what happened. The company also offered the following information:
• UPS drivers will deliver a package that does not require a signature. This is an accepted industry practice.
• At UPS, we call this practice ‘driver release.’ Our drivers are trained to leave packages out of sight and protected from inclement weather. UPS drivers use an Info Notice to inform the customer of the package location – if it is out-of-the-ordinary or not along the daily walk path. If it is a dense urban area with multi-unit residential high rise buildings, drivers will leave the package in front of an apartment, if he/she can get inside a secure door.
• Also, shippers always have the option of selecting our Signature Required Service (There is a surcharge of approximately $3.00 for this service)
• Use My Choice as an option to prevent theft. UPS My Choice customers have more control over when and how their packages are delivered. For example, members can tell drivers where to leave a package, reroute the package to another address or have it delivered to a local The UPS Store.
• With UPS My Choice®, consumers have flexibility and control to manage their residential deliveries and avoid those ‘sorry we missed you’ notices left on the door. Registered members receive a free text or email message the day before the package arrives eliminating the need to continually track packages