Warnings to stay off ponds and lakes
MARYLAND HEIGHTS, MO. (KPLR) – The Maryland Height Fire Protection District is warning area residents to stay off creeks, lakes and ponds.
With the recent cold snap in the St. Louis area, it may seem like those bodies of water are frozen over and safe. But the ice is very thin, and won’t support the weight of anyone walking on the ice.
Captain Robert Daus of the Maryland Heights Fire Protection District explains the danger, and the specialized equipment the district has to make rescues in cold water.
Maryland Heights Fires Protection District
- 18 puppies, 3 cats rescued by Animal Cruelty Task Force
- Video: Girl goes from baby to 14 in 4 minutes
- Kansas City residents breathe easier after highway shootings suspect nabbed
- Judge tells convicted murderer: "I hope you die in jail"
- Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates into reservoir