Stenger to challenge Dooley for County Executive seat
CLAYTON, MO (KTVI) – A fellow Democrat is set to challenge longtime St. Louis County Executive Charlie Dooley for his seat. County councilman Steve Stenger is scheduled to officially announce his candidacy Tuesday.
Stenger’s camp is wasting no time jumping on the controversies that have surrounded Dooley recently. A Stenger release says there are “an ongoing barrage of conflicts and managerial problems confronting the County Executive and his administration.”
Stenger is currently the sixth district county councilman representing south St. Louis County. He was first elected in 2008 and won re-election last year.
Stenger’s announcement comes as Dooley faces mounting pressure. Some labor unions have come out against Dooley, as well as some high profile officials like prosecuting attorney Bob McCulloch.
Dooley has also been embroiled in scandals including an FBI investigation into a sub-contract for the new county police crime lab.
That sub-contract was given to a company co-owned by then county police board chairman Gregory Sansone. Samsone was appointed by Dooley and has since stepped down.
There’s also the scandal about millions in missing money at the county health department. That involved a high ranking employee who killed himself.
Dooley has said that he is clean and that he will run for re-election. He has been County Executive since 2003.
Stenger is slated to formally announce his campaign bid Tuesday afternoon at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel.
The primary is set for next year.