Monster truck crash kills 8, injures dozens in Mexico
(CNN) — A “monster truck” spun out of control and mowed down spectators at an event in northern Mexico, killing at least eight people — including four children, officials said.
It’s possible the truck’s driver drank alcohol before Saturday’s deadly crash at the “Extremo Aeroshow” in Chihuahua, Mexico, state Gov. Cesar Duarte told reporters Sunday.
Blood tests were conductedand prosecutors will determine who was responsible, Duarte said.
Video of the incident shows a massive red truck running over an obstacle on a dirt course and then swerving into the crowd as audience members scream.
The crash injured dozens of people, Duarte said. On Sunday, 28 of them remained hospitalized — 12 of whom were in critical condition.
The city’s mayor, Marco Quezada Martinez, told the state-run Notimex news agency that he has ordered an investigation.
Officials said the Extremo Aeroshow was suspended after the incident.
According to the event’s website, the show included aerobatics, skydiving, hot air ballooning, motorcycles, fireworks and monster trucks.
By Catherine E. Shoichet and Nelson Quinones
CNNMexico contributed to this report.
- Watch this: Smoking medical marijuana transforms woman with Cerebral Palsy
- Teen's defense for driving drunk, killing 4: Being rich & spoiled
- White Castle customer stabbed over a beer
- Best Flight Ever: Airline makes passengers’ Christmas wishes come true
- Kansas City man suffers burns while trying to save sons from fire