Wainwright Regains Form, Cardinals Retake 1st Place
(KPLR)M – Adam Wainwright shook off two rocky starts and pitched a beauty that got the Cardinals back into first place in the NL Central as the Cardinals beat the Pirates 5-0 on Saturday night at Busch Stadium. Wainwright pitched seven shutout innings, allowing just two hits while striking out eight. Wainwright passed Dizzy Dean for second on the Cardinals All-Time Strikeout list. The win is Wainwright’s 16th of the season. David Freese was the hitting star for the Redbirds, driving in two runs with a sac fly and his 8th home run of the season.
The win lifts the Cards past Pittsburgh and into first place. The Cardinals now lead the Pirates by a half game and the Reds by a game and a half with twenty games to play in the regular season. The Cardinals go for the sweep of the Pirates on Sunday with Michael Wacha pitching for St. Louis.
- Watch this: Smoking medical marijuana transforms woman with Cerebral Palsy
- White Castle customer stabbed over a beer
- Best Flight Ever: Airline makes passengers’ Christmas wishes come true
- Kansas City man suffers burns while trying to save sons from fire
- Gay waitress loses job, accused of forging offensive note on tip