(KPLR) – Students all over Missouri can pitch in to fight litter. NoMOre Trash is a cooperative campaign between the Missouri Departments of Conservation and Transportation. Dan Zarlenga from the Conservation Department explained this special contest that enables Missouri schools to challenge their creativity and help put a lid on litter.
Q. Tell us about this campaign
- Cooperative effort between the Mo Depts. Of Conservation and Transportation
- Awareness campaign to discourage littering and encourage proper disposal of trash
- No MOre Trash signs along roadways
Q. How does litter impact the state of Missouri?
- The Missouri Department of Transportation spends almost $5 million every year to clean litter from Missouri highways
- The Conservation Dept. spends nearly $1 million cleaning up litter and waste in Conservation areas across the sate
So what’s this contest all about?
- Schools encouraged to decorate a 30-gallon or larger trash can to be located in a prominent area of the school or community
- Each design must include the No MOre Trash! logo and a litter-prevention message or slogan.
- Artistic media choices can include, but are not limited to paint, fabric, glitter, crayon, wax, paper, photos, etc. Use of recycled materials is encouraged.
- No entry fee is required. Only entries submitted by Missouri schools, including home schools will be accepted. Schools may submit one entry in each competition category.
- Include up to 3 photos
Q. What can they win?
- $200 prize for each of 3 winning grade categories
- Overall grand prize winning school will get $600 and a trophy
- Entries will be judged based on creativity, adherence to the contest rules and effective use of theme and logo.
- Entry deadline is March 8
Q. Who was last year’s winner?
- The 2012 Grand Prize was Oakville Middle School in the Mehlville School District right here in St. Louis County
- Their theme was “Refresh the Earth”
- The design was based around plastic water bottles
- The can was intended to collect plastic bottles for recycling
Q. Where can viewers find out more?
- Logos available for download there
No More Trash
Trash Can Decorating Contest
$600 Grand Prize
Entry deadline: March 8