Police: No Indication Of Foul Play In Toddler Death
EAST ST. LOUIS, IL (KTVI) – Police in East St. Louis say a 1-year-old child may have accidentally ingested bleach on Christmas Eve.
Authorities held a news conference Thursday saying they believed the child’s death was accidental. The girl’s aunt told police the toddler started spitting up something that smelled like bleach. The aunt was watching the girl at the time and didn’t know how the child got a hold of bleach.
The child was taken to Cardinal-Glennon Children’s Hospital where she later died two days later.
The Child Death Task Force was activated, but police say there is no indication of foul play. East St. Louis Police Chief Michael Floore says the family is completely cooperating. No charges have been filed.
The name of the child has not been released.