(KTVI) – Thanksgiving is a time for families and that includes our pest. While we’re feasting, it doesn’t mean ‘Fido’ should be doing the same. Veterinarian Dr. Stu Robson from Fox Creek Veterinarian Hospital in Wildwood talks about the foods you should never give your dog.
1. Bones — Giving your dog a bone may make your pet a candidate for a trip to your veterinarian`s office later, possible emergency surgery or even death.
2. Raw or undercooked turkey — Turkey Day`s main dish is dangerous for one reason: salmonella bacteria. Even though you may believe your dog`s stomach is iron-clad, it`s not.
3. Turkey skin — Seems harmless enough, right? It`s just the skin. But fatty foods like turkey skin and gravy are difficult for dogs to digest. Your dog`s pancreas can even become inflamed, resulting in pancreatitis, a very serious disease.
4. Dough and cake batter — It may sound like an urban legend, but the combination of raw dough and your dog`s body heat can actually cause the dough to rise inside his stomach. This will make your dog vomit while suffering severe abdominal pain and bloating.
5. Beer — the hops can cause your dog to have a fever, rapid heartbeat, seizures and liver damage. It can even be lethal.
6. Macadamia nuts — These nuts in particular are very bad for your dog. In fact, they could cause a reaction called macadamia nut toxicosis.
7. Mushrooms — Fungi are good for you, but bad for your dog. Should your dog ingest mushrooms, you can expect a slew of unwelcome symptoms that could become quite severe, including vomiting, seizures, coma and possibly death.
8. Onions and garlic
These two culprits are always on the list of foods your dog should not eat, and for very good reason: they can make your dog very sick. Both onions and garlic contain sulfides, which are toxic to dogs and can cause the destruction of red blood cells, leading to anemia.
9. Sage –It contains essential oils and resins that can upset a dog`s stomach and do a number on his central nervous system.
10. Nutmeg — when ingested by your dog, can cause seizures, tremors and central nervous system problems. Note that both pumpkin and sweet potatoes are good for your dog
11.Chocolate is also very, very bad for dogs.