As speaker, Tilley gets to choose who is inducted into the Hall. The decision to induct Limbaugh came in March just days after Limbaugh ripped Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke’s testimony before Congress about insurance covering birth control.
Missouri House democrats have submitted a proposal to amend the rules to be admitted to the Hall of Famous Missourians. They want to add rules stating that to be admitted a person must get an affirmative vote from at least three of the following officials: the House speaker, Senate president pro tempore, the House minority leader, or the Senate minority leader.
The Hall of Famous Missourians is located on the third floor of the Missouri Capitol and consists of a series of bronze busts. President Harry Truman, Mark Twain, and Walter Cronkite are just a few of the people who have been inducted.
Rush Limbaugh is from Cape Girardeau and is a successful syndicated conservative talk radio host.
House Minority Leader Mike Talboy (D-Kansas City) released a statement Monday saying in part, “House Speaker Steve Tilley today purported to induct misogynistic talk show host Rush Limbaugh III into the Hall of Famous Missourians. Instead of being open to the public as is tradition, the ceremony was conducted in secret in a locked House chamber with only Republican officials and other select people allowed in. The secrecy and exclusion of the public demonstrates that even Republicans are embarrassed at honoring someone who recently called a female college student with whom he disagreed a ‘slut’ and a ‘prostitute.’"
Governor Nixon’s Press Secretary Scott Holste released this statement on behalf of the Governor Monday:
“Based on the findings of the Office of Administration’s review, the Governor looks forward to working with the Board of Public Buildings and the State Capitol Commission to review the purpose and governance of the Hall of Famous Missourians and to develop a comprehensive strategy regarding where all busts, statues and other monuments are displayed in the Capitol.”
The following Republican house members from the St. Louis viewing area either chose to attend or not attend today's meeting:
- 017 (St Charles County) - Vicki Schneider - Did Not Attend (573-751-3604)
- 089 (St Louis County)- Timothy Gosen - Attended (573-751-0562 )
- 109 (St Charles & Franklin) - Scott Dieckhaus - Attended (573-751-0538)
- 102 (Jefferson County) - Paul Wieland - (Left Message) (573-751-3607)
- 105 (Jefferson & Franklin) - Paul Curtman - (Left Message) (573-751-3776)
- 013 (St Charles & Warren) - Chuck Gatschenberger - Attended (573-751-3572)
- 098 (Franklin) - Dave Hinson - Attended (573-751-0549)
- 078 (St Louis County - Town And Country) - John Diehl - Attended (573-751-1544)
- 092 (St Louis County - Town And Country) - Sue Allen - (Left Message) (573-751-9765)
- 094 (St Louis County -Kirkwood)- Rick Stream - Did Not Attend (573-751-4069)
- 095 (St Louis County) - Mike Leara - (Left Message) (573-751-2150)
- 093 (St Louis County - Dwight Scharnhorst - Attended (573-751-4392)
- 085 (St Louis County) - Cloria Brown - Attended (573-751-3719)
See the official press release below: